Wednesday, 29 August 2007

switching my brain off

I don't think I'm alone. I'm sure we all do it.

For some unknown reason, a song gets stuck in your head. It is usually (for me at least) a not very good song. Catchy. But crap.

As far as I know, nobody gets good music stuck in their head. Maybe the odd opera singer but not anyone I know. You don't hear people wandering around singing snatches of Rigoletto or Ave Maria or Georgian chant. Head-stuck music is not your refined or erudite stuff.

Another thing I have noted about the head-stuck music is that it is never something I actually like. I catch myself coming out with crap like Kylie's version of Locomotion and the theme song from Sesame Street or, even worse, a Kamahl song.

And, finally, the songs I have whirling 'round in there are never ones for which I actually know all the lyrics. So I don't sing a whole song in my head (or, occasionally, right out loud), I sing bits of it over and over and over.

Today I am having one of those disliked, crappy, catchy, half-remembered song-in-my-head days. This one is worse than most. This time the song is not just crap, it is total and absolute undiluted crap.

Do any of you out there remember Bazza McKenzie? Or even his alter-ego, Barry Crocker? Have any of you even heard of him? Well, he is one of those things that cause huge (and I mean HUGE) cultural cringe amongst Australians. Even worse than the crocodile hunter or Fosters. The sort of cringe-worthiness that nobody ever EVER admits to owning/watching/enjoying.

Yeah, well, I have a Bazza McKenzie song stuck in my head. (Correction - parts of one.)

I woke up with that song in my head. I have had music playing ever since (NB None of that music was Barry Crocker!). I have sung along to songs I do like and danced to rhythms that would normal sink into my soul. I have blasted everything from Dvorak to Metallica to Corrs at myself. To no avail. Over it all I find myself humming/thinking/muttering....

"...if it was a rainin' virgins (virgins) I'd be washed down the gutter with a poof, When I feel my heart strings stirrin' (stirrin') The girls just all tell me to bugger off...."

and

"...I'm as happy as a bastard on Father's day..."

I don't even know if they are parts of the same song. Or whether they are even the correct lyrics. I don't know where or when I heard it. Certainly not recently.

I just wish Bazza and his bloody crappy song would leave me alone.

Out damned song.

4 comments:

art sez: said...

ya know what happens to me alot? RIIIIIIICOOOLAAAAAAAA!!!! ricola cough drops!!! RIIIIIIIIICOOOOOOOLAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! and that damned horn!!!! yeeeech!!

Lena . . . said...

Yeeeech!! The horn - now that's all I hear tonight when I go to bed - Thanks a heap, Art!!

Anonymous said...

Art!! You evil, evil man!! Now *I* have it stuck in my head!!

I have no idea who you're talking about, Fi, but those seem like some rotten songs to have stuck in your head. ACK!

Jen said...

Sheesh - your song and my itching. We should get together and b----. Sorry about your pain...